Firstly, the cake itself is a moist and light vanilla cake with blueberries. Fresh blueberries are perfect of course, but frozen work just as well.
Then there’s the streusel, after all, what’s a great coffee cake without a crumbly streusel.
This streusel is particularly gorgeous, made with toasted almonds, oats, cinnamon and ground ginger.
And finally there’s the cream cheese glaze. And not just any old cream cheese glaze, but a lemon zest spiked cream cheese glaze.
There’s something about the combination of blueberries and cream cheese that just works. I think it’s why you see so many blueberry cheesecake recipes (such as this cheesecake recipe). And there’s something about the combination of blueberries and lemon – that’s why you see so many lemon blueberry cakes (like this Blueberry Cake with Lemon Glaze).
And this Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is an absolutely brilliant cake that works on so many delicious levels.
One last thing, this is called a “coffee cake” as it goes well with a cup of coffee. There’s no coffee in the cake itself.
- 1¾ cups cake flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2¼ cups blueberries
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- ⅓ cup old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ⅓ cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- For the full recipe visit: Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake.