This lovely muffin-like cake is decorated with a simple icing made interesting by almond extract.
I love the sprinkling of freeze dried raspberries for a burst of colour against the white icing. Freeze dried berries have an intense taste and add a great flavour zing to baked goods. You can find them in high end grocers or gourmet food stores, or you can get them here too: Freeze Dried Raspberries
If you wanted to, you could substitute flaked almonds for the white chocolate shavings (you know, given it’s for breakfast and all).
Watch the recipe – it’s for a 6 inch cake. If you want a bigger cake you’ll need to adjust both ingredients and baking time.
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 T butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup halved fresh raspberries
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 T cream or milk – whatever’s in the fridge
- ⅛ tsp almond extract
- ¼ square Baker’s white chocolate
- sprinkle of freeze-dried raspberries
- For the full recipe go here: Raspberry Almond Breakfast Cake.