Plums must be one of the most satisfying fruits to bake with.
The juicy fresh plums transform into a layer of intensely colored and flavored, sticky, luscious goodness.
In this great recipe from Bakingdom, the Italian plums are first sauteed in butter, jam and brown sugar which creates a gorgeous sticky sweet topping when baked.
Underneath this plum extravaganza, is a simple vanilla cake, which allows the fruit to take center stage.
Top with ice-cream, cream and/or custard and you’re well on your way to dessert heaven.
Are you a fan of upside-down cakes like I am? Pop over to our Upside-down Cake Recipe Collection and prepare to be inspired.
- 3 tablespoons (43 grams) unsalted butter
- ½ cups (128 grams) brown suger, packed
- 4 teaspoons apricot jam (or any jam or preserves desired)
- 6 Italian plums (or any fruit that you choose), pitted and sliced
- 1½ cups (191 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (188 ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup (134 grams) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- For the full recipe please visit: Upside-down Plum Cake