A Beetroot Chocolate Cake that will change your mind about beetroot – and chocolate cake – forever.
A deeply chocolatey cake, this is moist, lush and delicious. The fact that it’s packed full of really good for you beetroot is just an added bonus.
Nutrients, antioxidants and dark chocolate cake – yes, yes and yes.
If you’ve never eaten a chocolate cake with beetroots before or you’re worried about adding beets to a cake recipe, fear not. You can’t taste the beets themselves. They give the cake a subtle earthiness, which works wonderfully well with the dark chocolate flavour of this cake. Plus they increase the moistness of the cake (in the same way as zucchini or carrot does in a cake).
There is no question that chocolate is the out-and-out star of this cake.
The recipes uses dark cocoa powder as well as dark chocolate. And beetroot is not the only secret ingredient in the cake. There is a little coffee in the cake which also intensifies the chocolate flavour. Like the beets, you can’t taste the coffee in the cake at all. Just mouthfuls of deep rich chocolate flavour.
The beets are roasted first and then pureed before they are mixed into the cake batter. It adds to the time it takes to make this cake so factor that in. But trust me, one bite of this cake and you won’t mind how long it took.
Like your cake with vegetables? How about this easy zucchini chocolate cake recipe?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- ¾ cup + ¼ cup butter, softened and divided
- 1½ cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup quality Belgian semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups beet puree (about 6-7 small-medium beets roasted, peeled, and processed until smooth)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- For the ganache:
- 1 cup quality Belgian bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup heavy cream
- For the full recipe go here: Beetroot Chocolate Cake.