Who says sponge cake has to be tricky?
The clever trick to this recipe is that you weigh the whole eggs (yes – including their shells) and then you weigh the same amount of the other ingredients – flour, sugar and butter.
With this simple ratio you can make any size sponge cake that you please. You’ll be baking perfect sponge cakes every single time.
- 4 eggs
- caster sugar, either white or golden
- butter or margarine
- pinch of salt if not using salted butter
- self raising flour
- flavouring - 1 tsp vanilla essence/the zest of one lemon/1 tsp of rosewater
- filling fodder - jam, cream, fruit, buttercream, whatever you fancy really
- For the full recipe please visit: Basic Sponge Cake Recipe.