Then I discovered this Salted Caramel Apple Cake recipe – and life took on new meaning.
The roundness and complexity of the salted caramel is perfectly balanced by the freshness of the appley cake. And that sauce. That gorgeous, gorgeous salted caramel sauce. Heaven.
To be honest, I’ve never made the caramel cream that’s served with the cake. I find normal cream and/or ice-cream to be perfect.
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup Salted Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Granny Smith (or other firm apple) peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- For the full recipe go here: Salted Caramel Apple Cake.