A little like French biscuit and a little like a cake, either way this Gateau Breton recipe is a celebration of butter. The Bretagne region of north-west coastal France is renown for its dairy and this Brittany butter cake certainly shows why.
The lemon cream and blueberries in the recipe are a lovely accent but you can serve this Gateau Breton with anything – or nothing. It’s delicious all by itself.
- 42g (1/2 cup) blanched sliced almonds
- 150g (3/4 cup) superfine sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 255g (2½ sticks) unsalted butter
- 74g (about 4 large eggs) egg yolks, at room temperature
- 15g (1 tablespoon) kirsch, dark rum, or water
- 1¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 250g (2 cups plus 3 tablespoons) plain flour
- 1 whole egg, lightly beaten
- For the full recipe go here: Gateau Breton.