Talk about decadence.
The cake is just chocolatey enough to balance, but not overpower, the fresh cherry filling. That’s important because you want to be able to taste and enjoy both flavors.
Add in the gorgeous Italian meringue buttercream that is flavored with kirsch and vanilla, and this is a Cherry Chocolate Cake to be remembered.
If you’re looking for more recipes for chocolate cake have you seen this great list? Some of the best chocolate cakes you’ll find. Or if it’s the cherries that have caught your eye, we’ve got a great Cherry Cake Recipe Collection for you.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, not dutch processed
- 1¼ cup hot water
- 3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2⅔ cup cake flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup coffee, at room temperature
- 8 ounces sweet cherries, pitted and sliced into small pieces
- 1 pound sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- ½ cup kirsch liquor
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups (1 pound) butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon kirsch liquor
- For the full recipe go here: Cherry Chocolate Cake Recipe.