Moist, lush, fudgey, rich and decadent. This cake takes chocolate cake recipes to a whole new level.
While it’s all about the chocolate (as you would expect of an ultimate chocolate cake recipe), a touch of coffee is added to enhance the intensity of the chocolate flavor – but you could never tell it has coffee in it.
Using coffee in chocolate cake recipes is a great trick that deepens the chocolate flavor of cakes, while the coffee itself leaves no trace of its own flavor. Whenever I see water used in a chocolate cake recipe, I substitute coffee. Works every time.
Finished off with a dark chocolate ganache and chocolate curls, this cake is sure to satisfy all the chocoholics in your life.
Worried about making chocolate curls? Don’t be. This recipe includes step-by-step instructions and great photos to help you out. It’s actually really easy and looks mighty impressive. You’ll be putting chocolate curls on everything very soon.
Want another great chocolate cake recipe? How about this wonderful chocolate orange cake.
- 200g good quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 200g unsalted butter, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbl instant coffee granules
- 125ml water
- 85g plain flour
- 85g self raising flour
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate soda
- 200g light brown/muscovado sugar
- 200g caster sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 75ml buttermilk (or soured milk – method provided in full recipe).
- 200g good quality dark chocolate
- 285ml pouring cream
- 2 Tbl caster sugar
- For the full recipe please visit: Ultimate Chocolate Cake recipe