Ok – I admit I was skeptical at first. A friend of mine requested this cake for a special afternoon tea. Coffee and fresh ginger – really?
But I was completely won over.
Dried apricots also add to the delights of this cake. Who doesn’t love the surprise of chewy, sweet dried apricots in a cake?
This wonderful Coffee and Ginger Cake has subtle yet complex flavours to delight ginger – and coffee – lovers. Of which I am both.
- 50g unsalted butter
- 75ml milk
- 1 tablespoon ground coffee (not instant)
- 2cm piece root ginger, finely grated/chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 225g caster sugar
- 100ml vegetable or sunflour oil
- 75g chopped dried apricots
- 275g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 125g butter
- 200g cream cheese
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 175g icing sugar
- For the full recipe go here: Coffee and Ginger Cake.