It takes the humble banana cake to a new level of deliciousness – and let me tell you that the frosting is just sensational.
Combining a moist banana cake made with sour cream, a peanut butter frosting and an additional second frosting made from cream cheese, this is a banana layer cake to treasure.
I always feel there’s is something delightful childish about using peanut butter in cake recipes or indulging in a great peanut butter frosting.
I also don’t tend to opt for peanut butter sandwiches these days, but this cake allows you to rediscover the utter joy of a banana and peanut butter sandwich, in a slightly more grown-up way.
If you’re looking for more great banana cake recipes like this one, how about this Moist Banana Cake Recipe. It has another banana cake frosting that is out of this world. Have a look…
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese, at room temperature ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups icing sugar, divided
- ¾ cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- For the full recipe go here: Banana Layer Cake with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting.