If you need a basic Eggless Sponge Cake recipe this is just perfect.
A basic eggless cake with vanilla, it uses yoghurt and oil which give the cake a lovely moistness and soft sponge texture.
I have a friend who can’t eat eggs. We’re talking hives and stomach cramps as a result of eating eggs. Most cake is a strict no-go area. I, of course, see this as a wonderful baking challenge. Everyone should have cake (that’s the Marie Antoinette streak coming out in me).
While perfect all by itself – even for those who don’t need their cake eggless, this is a great basic recipe that you can use as a blank canvas. Add whatever you like to jazz it up. Try it with eggfree icing or frosting or perhaps a fruit syrup or compote.
I think this Eggless Sponge Cake recipe is a great example of how far eggless cooking has come in recent years. A cake that’s egg free and delicious – it is very possible indeed.
(The recipe calls for maida which is simply cake or all purpose flour).
- Maida (cake flour) - 1 and ½ cups (200 gms)
- Plain yogurt - 1 cup (250 ml)
- Granulated Sugar - ¾ cup (165 gms)
- Baking soda - ½ tsp
- Baking powder - 1 and ¼ tsp
- Cooking oil - ½ cup (125 ml)
- Vanilla essence - 1 and ½ tsp
- Milk - 1 tbsp (just for brushing the top)
- For the full recipe go here: Eggless Sponge Cake recipe.