A divinely rich chocolate cake with cherry.
This chocolate pound cake highlights why chocolate is so often paired with cherry. It has a silky, smooth, dense texture and is spiked with sweet, juicy cherries.
For swoon inducing flavours, try and make this cake at least a day ahead. The extra time means that the flavours and textures intensify even further making every bite of this cake pure heaven.
The Mascarpone Whipped Cream is a perfect accompaniment, with or without the cherry liqueur kirsch.
A note on kirsch. Kirsch is made by fermenting whole cherries, including their stones. Unlike cherry liqueurs and so-called “cherry brandies,” kirsch is not sweet but rather has a refined taste with subtle flavors of cherry and a slight bitter-almond taste that derives from the stones.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs instant espresso powder
- 3 sticks (1 ½ cups, 345 g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup kirsch, juice from jarred cherries or coffee (for a coffee-chocolate version)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup drained jarred cherries, if desired, and extra for serving
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 – 2 Tbs kirsch to taste, optional
- 1 – 2 Tbs confectioner’s/powdered sugar, to taste
- 2 Tbs mascarpone, softened to room temperature
- For the full recipe go here: Chocolate Cake with Cherry.
Are you looking for more utterly amazing chocolate cake recipes like this one? The Answer Is Cake’s Chocolate Cake Recipe Collection will make you swoon. Take a look and prepared to be inspired.