This cake is not for the faint-hearted. Either to eat or bake. But if you’re up for a baking challenge this is it!
There’s a lot to it: devils food chocolate cake, dark chocolate whisky cream, milk chocolate mocha cream, white chocolate dulce de leche, milk chocolate marshmallow frosting, dark chocolate drizzle and chocolate shavings and decorative chocolate pieces.
I do love a recipe that includes the phrase “trio of pastry creams”. As I said to begin with, an amazing chocolate cake recipe.
With all of that decadence, I’m surprised it’s only seven sins really. But if this does amount to seven sins (or possibly more), looks like I’m probably going straight to hell. Happily though.
The antidote to such a sinful cake may be a heavenly Raspberry Angel Cake.
- 1 oz. fine quality unsweetened baker’s chocolate, chopped evenly
- ¾ cup plus 1½ tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup hot coffee (can use hot water or decaf coffee if caffeine sensitive)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 16 tbsp (2 US sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2.5 oz. dark chocolate
- 2.5 oz. white chocolate
- 2.5 oz. milk chocolate
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. whiskey
- 3 tbsp. dulce de leche (canned)
- 1-2 tsp. espresso powder (to taste)
- 12 tbsp (1½ US sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2⅔ cups powdered sugar
- 6 oz. milk chocolate melted and slightly cooled
- 7 oz. marshmallow cream
- 4 oz. dark chocolate chopped evenly
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Chocolate shavings
- Chocolate pieces
- For the full recipe go here: Seven Sins Chocolate Cake.