The date cake is rich, sweet and delicious all on its own, but smother it in a divine Butterscotch Sauce and you’re well on your way to dessert heaven.
Keep in mind that the date cake itself isn’t “sticky”, it’s the butterscotch sauce that makes it so. The more sauce that soaks into the cake, the stickier the cake will become.
Served warm with vanilla ice-cream, you’d have to agree that cakes like this nourish the soul as well as the body.
If you like the flavor of butterscotch, perhaps I can tempt you with this gorgeous Butterscotch Cake with Caramel Sauce.
- 250g (1½ cups) deseeded dried dates, roughly chopped into small pieces
- 312ml (1¼ cups) water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 60g (1/4 cup) salted butter, chopped roughly
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 188g (1¼ cups) self-raising flour
- 150g (2/3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- Peacans for decorating
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 60g butter
- 300ml pure cream
- For the full recipe please visit: Sticky Date Cake with Butterscotch Sauce.