I love everything about this cake.
The poppy seed lemon cake layers are rich and moist thanks to sour cream. There is a lovely citrus tang from lemon zest and juice, plus the crunchy earthiness of poppy seeds.
The cream between the layers is the pure taste of summer. An inspired combination of mascarpone and heavy cream is flavored by the heady fragrance and taste of passion fruit, strewn with pieces of diced strawberry. The cream is surprisingly light so don’t be afraid to spread it generously.
A layer cake to impress, this Poppy Seed Lemon Cake with Strawberry Passion Fruit Cream is shared by Beyond Sweet and Savory.
- 1 cup cake flour or all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed and room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice, strained
- 2 tbsps poppy seed
- 8 ripe passion fruits, about 1 cup
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ cup strawberries, hulled and diced
- For the full recipe please visit: Poppy Seed Lemon Cake with Strawberry Passion Fruit Cream.