Miracle worker or what? Just look at all that chocolatey lushness with chewy pieces of cookie dough.
OK – maybe this isn’t “health” food in the strictest sense, but it’s definitely a lighter, healthier version of the much-loved Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake recipe, which tastes absolutely fantastic.
Essentially, the recipe weaves its magic by using unsweetened apple sauce plus dates and honey for sweetness. There’s also a generous amount of non-fat Greek yogurt and a massive 12 egg-whites for it’s light mousse-like texture.
Sure there’s a little butter and whole cane sugar in the cookie dough, and dark chocolate chips but I think that can be forgiven from time to time – can’t it?
If you’re looking for more recipes that fall on the healthier end of the cake spectrum, have a look at these lovely Mini Carrot Bundt Cakes, or this gorgeous Cottage Cheese Cheesecake with Blueberry Compote.
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup whole cane sugar (such as Sucanat)
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup pitted dates
- ⅓ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 12 egg whites
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp skim milk
- For the full recipe and nutritional values visit: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake.