And this Blueberry Shortcake recipe is a doozy.
What makes this recipe particularly good, is that the very clever Heidi from Lip Smacking shares her secret technique for the blueberry compote. And it is indeed a cut above other blueberry sauces – keep it in mind any time you make a berry compote like this.
Shortcakes are always such a crowd pleaser and are so very easy to make. If you’re feeling particularly creative you could do a mix of strawberry, raspberry and blueberry shortcakes. Watch how quickly those babies disappear at your next supper, morning or afternoon tea.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 Tb sugar, divided
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter
- 1-1/4 cup full-fat sour cream
- 8 cups fresh ripe local blueberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups heavy (whipping) cream, chilled
- 2 Tb berry sugar (superfine sugar)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- For the full recipe please visit: Blueberry Shortcake.